Cowboys basketball defeats Drake Bulldogs in overtime thriller

Today, Dec. 2, the University of Wyoming Cowboys Basketball team (5-2), took on the Drake Bulldogs(4-2) in an overtime thriller that took place at the Dome of Doom.

The game got off to a very even start, with 14:10 left in the first quarter the score was tied 12-12. At this time in the game, Alan Herndon was the leading scorer for the Pokes, with a total of 8 points, two of which were three-pointers.

As the clock reached 8:41 left in the half the Cowboys were able to take the lead with a score 0f 25-15. Number 10 for the Cowboys, Cody Kelley was a large part of the Pokes run making two three-pointers.

With around 5:30 left in the half, number 12 for the Bulldogs, Reed Timmer was able to complete a four-point play after being fouled while shooting a three-pointer. Drake was able to retake the lead at a time of 4:15, with a score of 27-25 and were able to score 14 uninterrupted points bringing the score to 29-25 before the Pokes were able to score at around the 3-minute mark.

The score going into the half was 38-37 in favor of Drake. Leading scorer for the Pokes at half was tied between Herndon and number 1 Justin James. Number 20 Hayden Dalton lead the

Cowboys in rebound with a total of 7. Reed leads the Bulldogs in scoring at the half with 13 total points.

Three made threes from Herndon tied the game 50-50 at a time of 15:30. It also brought his point total for the night to 21. However soon after the Bulldogs were able to pull ahead again and the score with 14:19 left in the half was 55-50. Herndon had a big block with 11:32 left in the game to keep the Drake lead to only one with a score of 57-56.

With 10:31 left, Cowboy player Andrew Moemeka was charged with a technical foul for hanging on the rim after a dunk which was greeted by a chorus of boos from the Wyoming fans. As the clock reached 7 minutes the score of the game was 66-62 in favor of Wyoming.

With 4:26 left in the game #24 for the Pokes, Louis Adams had a great block that got the crowd energized. The crowd also started to harshly boo Nick McGlynn, number 35 on the Bulldogs, after a couple of unsportsmanlike plays.

Regulation play ended with a score of 75-75 with 4 lead changes occurring in the last 7 minutes. James was able to get the pokes on the board first to start overtime after making a free throw.

The game was tied at 79-79 with 37 seconds left in the game but a clutch three-pointer from Herndon gave the Pokes an 82-79 lead. Timmer was able to tie the game with a three-pointer on seconds later giving the ball to the Pokes with 12 seconds left in the first overtime and a score tied at 82. The Cowboys were not able to score and the game was sent to its second overtime.

Dalton got the Pokes off to an early lead after making an acrobatic layup bringing the score to

84-82 in favor of Wyoming. With just under a minute left in the second overtime, the score was 90-85 Wyoming ahead. With 22 seconds left McGlynn fouled out which was met with applause from the Wyoming audience. Wyoming was able to maintain a lead for the remainder of the game with a final score of 96-89.

Leading scorer for the Cowboys was Herndon who finished with 32 points after making 6 of the team’s 13 three-pointers on the night. The next Cowboy home game is Saturday, Dec. 9 against the Pacific Tigers.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Fill in the Captcha *